American Totem explores the topic of guns in America from a more nuanced approach than the standard ‘more guns versus less guns’ debate. The film recognizes that Americans have complex, and often contradictory, relationships with firearms. From soldiers protecting national interests and hunters carrying on a long frontier tradition, to the casualties of inner-city violence and the anonymous victims of suicide and domestic violence, attitudes about guns are as diverse as Americans themselves… Read More
Currently, the gun issue is often framed in arguments over gun control and Second Amendment rights, in other words, more guns versus less guns. American Totem suggests that this debate is a distraction to addressing the real issues in America today, issues such as the rise of suicides in predominantly rural areas, among older White men with access to firearms; a connection between domestic violence and mass shootings; the largely unaddressed homicide rate of Black males in inner cities…. Read More
As independent filmmakers we rely on our supporters to help make this film a reality. We are long past the acquisition phase and are ready to assemble this film. Our costs include all post-production work including audio mixing, computer graphics, color correction, closed captioning and final master distribution. Tax Deductible Contributions – Southern Oregon Public Television is our fiscal agent, therefore all contributions are tax deductible… Read More
THE REAL ISSUE RADIO SHOW
Listen to The Real Issue
The Real Issue is a public affairs talk show focusing on the issues underlying the headlines. Topics range from electoral politics and domestic and foreign policy, to homelessness, juvenile justice and the environment. Join your host Sue Hilderbrand to explore some of the most important, hidden, and heated political and public issues in our country and our world today. www.kzfr.org/shows/realissue
Dr. Saul Cornell, Fordham University, history
- A Well-Regulated Militia: the Founding Fathers and the Origins of Gun Control in America (2006).
- The Other Founders: Anti-Federalism and the Dissenting Tradition in America (1999).
Dr. Firmin Debrabander – Maryland Institute College of Art, philosophy
- Do Guns Make Us Free?: Democracy and the Armed Society (2015)
- Spinoza and the Stoics: Power, Politics and Passions (2007)
Dr. Pamela Haag
- Blowin’ Up: Rap Dreams in South Central (University of Chicago Press, 2016).
- Gunshot (in progress)
Dr. Eric Mankowski – Portland State University, psychology
- Antecedents to gun violence: Gender and culture. In Gun violence: Prediction, prevention and policy, APA
- Men’s mental health and masculinities, Encyclopedia of mental health, 2nd edition, vol.3. Waltham, MA: Academic Press.
Dr. Heral Shapira – University of Texas – Austin, sociology